The MPOWER Global Citizen Scholarship presents an extraordinary opportunity for aspiring students to embark on an academic journey in the United States or Canada. This esteemed scholarship program is designed to empower international students, enabling them to pursue higher education and make a positive impact on their communities. This article will cover everything you need to know about the MPOWER Global Citizen Scholarship to study in USA or Canada.
Benefits Of The MPOWER Global Citizen Scholarship
MPOWER is an organization that supports international and DACA students by providing scholarships annually. The scholarships are awarded to students who are enrolled at schools that are supported by MPOWER. The scholarship program offers the following awards:
- Grand Prize: One student will receive a $10,000 scholarship as the grand prize.
- Honorable Mentions: Two students will receive honorable mentions and be awarded $2,000 each.
Eligibility For The MPOWER Global Citizen Scholarship
To be eligible for the program, you must be accepted into a full-time degree program at a university or college in the United States or Canada that is supported by MPOWER. You also need to be an international student who is legally allowed to study in either the U.S. or Canada, depending on where you plan to study.
For study in the United States
If you want to study in the United States, there are a few ways you can meet this requirement. First, you need to have a valid visa that allows you to study in the U.S. This could be a student visa specifically for studying, such as an F-1 visa. Alternatively, if you are protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, you can also meet this criteria. Lastly, if you are a U.S. permanent resident, which means you have a Green Card, you are also eligible to apply.
For study in Canada
If you plan to study in Canada, the eligibility criteria are slightly different. You need to be either a Canadian permanent resident or have a valid Canadian study permit. Being a Canadian permanent resident means that you have been granted the right to live and study in Canada permanently. A study permit is a document that allows international students to study in Canada for a specific period of time.
How To Apply For The MPOWER Global Citizen Scholarship
To apply for the scholarship, please follow these steps:
- Visit the scholarship application form at https://www.mpowerfinancing.com/scholarships/global-citizen#GCS_application_form.
- Fill in the following details:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address*
- Date of birth* (in the format dd/mm/yyyy)
- Country of citizenship* (Please select DACA if applicable)
- Country of Study*
- Immigration status in your country of study* (You must possess a passport and visa or other applicable travel document to apply for this scholarship)
- How did you hear about this scholarship?* (Provide a brief response within 250 characters)
- Are you currently enrolled in or accepted to a U.S. or Canadian college or university that is an MPOWER Partner University?* (Check the appropriate option and provide additional details if needed)
- Name of U.S. or Canadian college or university?* (You must be able to prove your enrollment or acceptance to this institution)
- Anticipated graduation date?* (in the format dd/mm/yyyy)
- Major/field of study?* (Provide a brief response within 250 characters)
- Who was involved in your school application and financial planning process?* (Choose all that apply)
- When you have a question, which university office/personnel are you most likely to ask?* (Select the appropriate option)
- In what country do you plan to work immediately after you graduate?* (Select the appropriate option)
- Do you plan to refinance your existing student loans?* (Select the appropriate option)
- Essay question: Please answer the following question in any format you desire. You may write an essay, a poem, a PowerPoint, or other written material in 200-500 words.* (Provide a response addressing the three points mentioned within a maximum of 500 words)
Selection Of Winners And Award Of Prize For The MPOWER Global Citizen Scholarship
The judging process for the scholarship will involve the following steps:
- Review of Entries: MPOWER will carefully review all applicable and valid entries. Entries that meet the eligibility criteria will be considered for the scholarship.
- Selection of Finalists: Based on the selection criteria, MPOWER will select finalists from the pool of eligible entries. The selection will be based on the quality of the essay question response.
- Judging Panel: A panel of three judges will evaluate the applications of the finalists. They will assess the quality of the essay, including clarity of thought, compelling goals and vision, and superior communication skills in English. The judges will also consider the connection between the applicant’s field of study and their goals and aspirations. Additionally, they will assess the applicant’s potential as a scientist, entrepreneur, leader, or change-maker who can make a positive impact.
- Additional Information and Interviews: MPOWER reserves the right to conduct interviews or request additional information from the entrants to gain further insights into their entries.
- Final Decision: The judges’ decision is final and binding. Winners will be selected based on the judges’ evaluation of the finalists’ applications.
- Notification of Winners: Winners will be notified within one month of the submission deadline. MPOWER will use the contact information provided in the entry form to notify the winners via telephone, email, and/or regular mail.
- Verification and Documentation: Winners will be required to submit a completed and signed Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability & Publicity Release. If the winner is under 18 years of age, their parents will need to submit the required documents. Failure to return the executed release within the specified time period may result in the forfeiture of the prize, and an alternate winner may be selected.
- Tax and Withholding: Winners are responsible for any applicable federal, state, and local taxes related to the acceptance and receipt of the prize. MPOWER may require winners to complete tax-related forms, such as the U.S. Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Form W-9 or applicable Canadian form.
- Prize Distribution: After verifying the winner’s eligibility and receiving the executed release, MPOWER will directly pay the prize to the winner’s school of enrollment on their behalf. MPOWER is not liable if the school fails to properly credit or apply the prize.
Condition Of Entries
- Only one entry per person is allowed for each scholarship. Multiple entries will not be accepted.
- To enter the scholarship, you need to complete and submit the online scholarship entry form, which can be found at https://www.mpowerfinancing.com/scholarships/.
- It is essential to fully comply with the terms and conditions outlined for the scholarship. Any entry that does not meet these requirements will be considered void.
- Once you submit your entry, it becomes the property of MPOWER and will not be returned or acknowledged.
- By entering the scholarship, you give MPOWER permission to use your university name, state, country of origin, and essay question response for advertising, promotion, and publicity purposes. This permission extends to all media, now or in the future, without the need for additional compensation, notification, permission, or approval.
- Entries containing erroneous, expired, canceled, fraudulent, or fake information will be considered void.
- Only the actual student can participate in the MPOWER Global Citizen Scholarship. If a family member or any other individual or entity completes the online entry form on behalf of the student, that entry will be disqualified.
- Any attempt by an individual to submit multiple entries through unauthorized means (such as multiple email addresses, phone numbers, identities, registrations, or logins) will result in automatic disqualification from the MPOWER Global Citizen Scholarship.
- By submitting your entry, you agree that MPOWER may communicate with you about products and services that it believes may be of interest to you.
The application deadline for the current cycle is 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on July 15, 2023. Make sure to submit your application before this deadline to be considered for the scholarship.
Frequently Asked Questions
The MPOWER Scholarship is a program that offers financial support to international students studying in the United States or Canada. It aims to empower talented individuals by providing them with funds to pursue their higher education dreams. The scholarship is open to students from all fields of study and is awarded based on the quality of their essay question response. MPOWER aims to make education accessible and believes in the potential of international students to make a positive impact in their communities and beyond.
MPOWER works by providing financial support to international students pursuing higher education in the United States or Canada. Students can apply for the MPOWER Scholarship by submitting an online application form and an essay question response. The applications are reviewed, and finalists are selected based on specific criteria. A panel of judges then chooses the scholarship winners. The funds awarded through the scholarship are directly paid to the winners’ enrolled schools to cover tuition and educational expenses.
Yes, the MPOWER Scholarship is open to international students from any country, as long as they are accepted into a full-time degree program at a supported school in the United States or Canada.
Yes, the MPOWER Scholarship is open to students pursuing degrees in any field of study. There are no restrictions on the academic disciplines that can be supported by the scholarship.
The MPOWER Scholarship winners are selected by a panel of judges who review the finalists’ applications and essay question responses. The judges assess the quality of the essays, the alignment between the applicant’s field of study and goals, and the potential impact the applicant can make.