Hey there, international students! Are you dreaming of studying for your postgraduate degree in the UK? If you are, then the Glasgow International Scholarships offered by the University of Glasgow might be just what you’re looking for. In this article, we’ll spill all the tea about these scholarships, including the benefits, requirements, how to apply, and important deadlines.
So, let’s dive right in!
Benefits of the Scholarship
The Glasgow International Scholarships are like golden tickets—they come in the form of a tuition fee discount for international and EU (non-UK) students who excel academically and show great leadership potential. These scholarships are available for postgraduate taught master’s programs in any field offered by the University of Glasgow.
Depending on the program you choose, the scholarship amount can range from £5,000 to £10,000. For example, the University of Glasgow International Leadership Scholarship will land you a whopping £10,000, while the Undergraduate Excellence Scholarship is worth a cool £5,000.
But hey, it’s not just about the money. These scholarships also serve as a pat on the back for your academic achievements and leadership skills. By earning a Glasgow International Scholarship, you’ll become part of a community of talented and ambitious students from around the globe who share your passion for learning and positively impacting society.
Field of Study, Student Level, Scholarship Coverage, Partner Universities, and Duration
Anyone from any country with international fee status can apply for the Glasgow International Scholarships. You can select any postgraduate taught master’s program offered by the University of Glasgow as long as you meet the entry requirements and have received an offer for September 2023.
However, these scholarships only cover a portion of your tuition fees, not your living expenses or other costs. So, make sure to secure additional funding from other sources to cover the full cost of attending the university.
Keep in mind that these scholarships are only valid for programs delivered by the University of Glasgow itself. Sorry, but you can’t use them for programs offered by other institutions or partner universities.
These scholarships are awarded for a single year only. If your program extends beyond a year, you’ll need to pay the full tuition fees for the subsequent years.
Types and Examples of Glasgow International Scholarships
- Alumni Discount: A 20% discount on all postgraduate research and full postgraduate taught masters programs for alumni of the University of Glasgow or those who have completed a study abroad or Erasmus program at the university1.
- EU Scholarships: A range of scholarships for new incoming EU students, such as the EU Postgraduate Taught Scholarship worth £5,0001.
- Widening Participation Scholarships: A variety of scholarships and bursaries for incoming students from Scotland who may face financial difficulties, such as the University of Glasgow Access Bursary worth £2,000 per year1.
- RUK Bursaries and Scholarships: A number of bursaries and scholarships for students from England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, such as the RUK Excellence Scholarship worth £1,000 per year for those who have attained AAA or better at A Level (or equivalent)23.
- University International Leadership Scholarship: A scholarship worth £10,000 for international and EU (non-UK) students who demonstrate academic excellence and leadership potential and start a postgraduate taught master’s program in any discipline.
To be eligible for the Glasgow International Scholarships, you need to check these boxes:
- You must have international fee status or EU (non-UK) fee status.
- Demonstrate academic brilliance and achieve grades equivalent to a UK 1st Class Honors.
- Hold an offer of a place for a postgraduate taught master’s program starting in September 2023.
- Apply by the specified deadline for each scholarship.
When applying for the Glasgow International Scholarships, you don’t need to submit any additional documents apart from your application for admission. However, make sure your application includes the following:
- Academic transcripts and certificates.
- Results from your English language proficiency test (if applicable).
- Personal statement and CV.
- References and recommendations.
Applying for the Glasgow International Scholarships is as easy as pie. No separate forms or essays are required. Here’s what you need to do:
- Apply online for your desired postgraduate taught master’s program through the University of Glasgow website.
- Indicate your interest in applying for a scholarship during the application process.
- Sit tight and wait for the outcome of your application and scholarship assessment.
- If you’re being considered for a scholarship, you’ll be notified within six weeks of receiving an offer of admission. The final decision will be based on your academic merit and leadership potential.
The deadlines for applying for the Glasgow International Scholarships vary depending on the scholarship type and program. Here are a few examples:
University of Glasgow International Leadership Scholarship: April 30, 2024.
Undergraduate Excellence Scholarship: June 30, 2024.
Most postgraduate taught masters programs: July 31, 2024.
Make sure to check the specific deadlines for your chosen program and scholarship on the University of Glasgow website before applying.
Extra Tips To Help You Out
- Apply early for your chosen program and scholarship, as the deadlines may vary, and some scholarships may have limited availability.
- Check the eligibility criteria and the value of each scholarship carefully, as they may differ depending on your country of origin, program of study, and academic performance.
- Prepare a strong personal statement and CV that highlight your academic achievements, leadership skills, and career goals.
- Provide evidence of your English language proficiency, such as IELTS or TOEFL scores, if required.
- Seek recommendations from your previous tutors or employers who can vouch for your academic potential and suitability for the scholarship.
- Explore other funding options, such as postgraduate loans, financial aid, or external scholarships, to cover your living expenses and other costs
The Glasgow International Scholarships are an awesome opportunity for international and EU (non-UK) students who want to pursue their postgraduate studies at one of the top-notch universities in the UK. These scholarships offer a generous tuition fee discount and open doors to a diverse and dynamic student community.
If you’re interested in applying for these scholarships, start prepping your application as soon as possible and make sure to submit it by the deadline. Don’t forget to explore other funding options to cover your living expenses.
We hope this article has given you all the deets you need about the Glasgow International Scholarships. Feel free to comment below and share this post if you find it helpful.
Frequently Asked Questions
Any international or EU (non-UK) student with international fee status can apply!
The amount varies depending on the program you choose, ranging from £5,000 to £10,000.
Nope, sorry. The scholarships only cover tuition fees, so you’ll need to find other ways to fund your living expenses.
Nope, these scholarships are exclusively for the University of Glasgow programs. Stick to their awesome offerings!
They’re valid for one year only. If your program extends beyond that, you’ll have to pay full tuition fees for the additional years.
You’ll need to have excellent academic grades, hold an offer of a place for a postgraduate taught masters program for September 2024, and apply before the specified deadline.
Nope, just include your academic transcripts, language test results (if applicable), personal statement, CV, and references with your application for admission.
It’s super easy! Apply online for your chosen postgraduate program through the University of Glasgow website, and indicate your interest in a scholarship within your application. Then, wait for the outcome of your application and scholarship assessment. Fingers crossed!
Absolutely! You can apply for multiple scholarships, but remember that each scholarship has its specific deadline and criteria.
Yes, you may need to demonstrate your English language proficiency through test results such as IELTS or TOEFL, depending on the program you choose.
If you’re being considered for a scholarship, you’ll receive a notification within six weeks of receiving an offer of admission. So keep an eye on your inbox!
Unfortunately, these scholarships are only available for students who have an offer of a place for September 2023. Keep them in mind for future opportunities!
Absolutely! While the Glasgow International Scholarships cover tuition fees, you can explore other funding sources like external scholarships, grants, or part-time jobs to support your living expenses and other costs. Get creative!
- University of Glasgow – Scholarships and funding
- University of Glasgow | Study UK (britishcouncil.org)